So, the flier says: "Nelson artist Graham Snowden, (sic) presents 'Red Square', a freestanding three-dimensional relief work in bright red aluminium. Graham has recently returned to NZ after living in Korea, and is well known for his large scale abstract and geometric works in painted steel. His work is in major collections and corporate spaces. Graham's work from last year's Arts Festival sculpture symposium was recently a finalist in the 2007 Wallace Arts Trust Awards."
For over a decade, the then-local brewery Macs sponsored a sculpture symposium, where artists sculpted in public for the two weeks the Nelson Arts Festival was on; at the end the pieces were auctioned off. Macs, however, moved out of Nelson a couple of years ago, and no longer feels allegiance to Nelson, so they quit the sponsorship. I'm not sure where "Manifest" comes from, but Tim's trying to make this more of an exhibition rather than a symposium now, although Derek Ball is making something during the Festival to be shown towards the end.
Funny how hearing a little about the artist changes my perception of artworks. Before I heard Tim, I thought, "oh, a red slab", but after Tim's talk, I couldn't get enough of this. Does your perception change after you get more info?
* * * * *
Brace yourselves; we're not done yet. We thought we were keeping a low profile, kind of a semi-retirement, until suddenly we got tagged by Slinger of Twin Cities Daily Photo, Stefan Jansson of Photos from Haninge, and JB of Mainz Daily Photo within a couple of days. Y'all must be running out of folks to tag!!! Anyway, we're supposed to tell you eight things about ourselves that you may not know, so here goes:
- Ben has never been to Minnesota! In fact, he's only ever been to Hawaii, and two hours in the transit room at the Anchorage, Alaska, airport.
- Nether of us remember the circumstances under which we decided to get married. Ben did not get down on one knee, but other than that, only after a year of being married, we couldn't remember how it happened.
- Our birthdays and wedding anniversaries (the day we went to register at the ward office, and the day we had our wedding) are all in April.
- We are both the eldest of three; we both have one younger brother, and one younger sister.
- On our first real date, we went to a Smokey Robinson concert in Tokyo.
- Ben was born in the year of the rabbit; I'm a dog.
- Ben's the better, and more frequent, cook; I bakes goodies that are bad for you.
- Sometimes when religious folks come to the door, I pretend I don't speak English.